We truly believe that the men and women who answered our nation’s call embody the ideals Americans hold so dear. Because they have proven their devotion to their fellow citizens and to a grateful nation, we all owe them the same respect and devotion in return.
Why Do More Families Trust Us to Care for their Veteran?
We are known for our compassionate, caring and thoroughly professional staff, and have years of experience in planning military services. Whether your family chooses cremation or burial, we will be proud to take care of all the details involved.
Did you know that Veteran Funeral Services are available to honor veterans and military personnel who have served the United States? Veteran services, such as Veteran funeral services, can help show respect and gratitude for those who have served our country.
What are Veteran funeral services?
Veteran funeral services are a term that refers to any military-related ceremonies or honors performed in honor of a veteran. Such funeral service may be conducted right after death regardless of the veteran's physical location and status as a veteran.
Veterans Funeral Benefits
All veterans can receive military funeral honors at no cost. They are also usually eligible for free memorial items including: Headstones, markers, and medallions.
VA will pay up to $796 toward burial and funeral expenses for deaths on or after October 1, 2019 (if hospitalized by VA at time of death), or $300 toward burial and funeral expenses (if not hospitalized by VA at time of death), and a $796 plot-interment allowance (if not buried in a national cemetery).
Do Veterans Get Free Burial
All veterans with other-than-dishonorable discharges are eligible for free burial in a national VA cemetery. Usually, the eligibility requirements are the same as for federal cemeteries. In most cases, spouses are eligible for burial next to the veteran at little or no cost. Also, markers are provided.
Is A Veteran Entitled to a Military Funeral
Any person who has served in the army and has completed at least one enlistment or other obligated military service and received an honorable discharge is eligible for Military Funeral Honors.
We are Proud to Honor Those Who Served
Without a doubt, our professional staff feels pride when we are able to care for a veteran and their family. It is our way of expressing gratitude for their service to the country.
We are committed to taking care of all the details involved in providing the veteran in your life with deeply meaningful and honoring ceremonies. L.A. Muhleisen & Son Funeral Home can:
- Complete applications for all veterans’ benefits, including Military Honors, Presidential Memorial Certificate and veteran memorial marker or headstone
- Confirm and coordinate any existing paid pre-plan funding benefits which may cover any expenses deemed ineligible by the Veterans Administration
- Coordinate necessary documentation provided by family to request honors
- Coordinate with national or state veterans’ cemeteries
You will receive:
- The professional services of Funeral Director and support staff
- Transfer the deceased and professional care
- Cremation services
- Use of our mortuary facilities and staff for a visitation or gathering
- A funeral or memorial ceremony
- Use of automotive equipment
- Online interactive memorial website
- Additional personalization options, including specialized engraving, a moving tribute video
To learn more about how we can serve you, give us a call. We will be honored to speak with you.
Who is Eligible?
In short, the veteran must have been honorably discharged. A more detailed list of those service men and women who may apply for, and receive veterans' burial benefits, with full military honors if they choose would include:
- Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve
- Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable
- Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable
- Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
If you have any questions about your eligibility, or that of a family member, call us at (504) 466-8577. If you have any questions about your eligibility or that of a family member, contact the staff of one of our locations or send us an email using our contact form.