Your Choices: Funeral or Cremation Services in Destrehan, LA
We are experts in funeral and cremation services in Louisiana. We are proud to be of service to our community for more than 125 years. Our goal is to create a fitting, memorable and affordable service for your loved one. Together, we will explore the many options of funeral and cremation services as well as other available products that can best suit your needs. We will always be here for you so call us right now at (504) 466-8577.
The time of losing a loved one can be an experience of deep anguish and grief as you say goodbye. During this emotional experience, not only are you working through your personal care, but the family also needs to address important decisions related to how the individual will be laid to rest. As you are working through your options, it is important to enlist the services from a local funeral home and cremation provider in Destrehan, LA.
One of the most important choices you will make is whether the deceased should be buried in a nearby cemetery, or if you prefer cremation instead. There are pros and cons to both of these solutions. Remember that there isn’t one right solution for every family. Instead, you need to consider your preferences and family traditions to pick the service that best meets your unique needs. Continue reading to see a comparison of both burial and cremation.
Elements of Traditional Funerals and Burials in Louisiana
The placement of a person in the casket, along with a formal funeral service, can be an important step in finding closure to this chapter in life. Some families want to have a time where they can grieve and share their final goodbyes. A properly planned funeral can cover all of the family traditions and cultural influences, followed by a service at the graveside before the casket is put into the final resting place.
Many aspects of these funeral and burial services can be customized based on the requests of each family. For example, you have the freedom to choose the location of the funeral, where the loved one should be buried, and what activities and elements should be included in the funeral service. Choosing a full-service funeral home for funeral and cremation in Destrehan, LA means that one team will oversee everything related to the event. These are some of the details that you might choose to include in your funeral package:
- Visitation or Viewing: It’s been found that seeing the remains of a loved one can help a person experience the closure they need. This experience confirms the reality of the situation and gives the family time to offer support and care for each other. Additionally, it is a moment to share a personal goodbye before the funeral is held. Often, the visitation happens the evening before the funeral, with an intimate family meeting in the hours before the funeral services.
- Funeral or Memorial Service: The actual event is designed to honor the life of the loved one who has died. This meeting is an opportunity to share the relationship and memories that were built through the course of the person’s lifetime. Attending a funeral service is important for supporting the family. The program is often based on stories of the deceased including accomplishments, character, and life experiences. Other elements of the funeral might include music, scripture, poetry, readings, or any additional practices that honor your family traditions.
- Cemetery Burial: When the funeral is complete, a procession takes place with the attendees following the casket to the location where it will be buried. Families need to address important decisions about this burial such as the selection of a casket, designing a personalized headstone, and where the casket will be laid to rest. The benefit of having a cemetery burial is to provide the family with a dedicated place to visit in the future.
What You Need to Know about Cremation
Some of the elements listed above can be included with cremation services. For example, families have the option to plan a funeral or memorial service along with the cremation services. Additionally, cremated ashes can be laid to rest in a cemetery if desired.
Many of the benefits that come from cremation are founded in the practical elements of this service:
- Reduced Cost: The price of cremation is much lower compared to what you will pay for a traditional funeral. You can avoid the cost of a burial plot, casket, and expensive headstone.
- Environmental Considerations: Are you concerned about the impact it will have on the environment to place unnatural chemicals and materials into the ground? Cremation is more environmentally friendly. One option is to return the ashes to the earth by burying them with a tree or memorial garden.
- Flexibility: Since the deceased isn’t placed in a cemetery plot, you have the flexibility to move the ashes if needed. This benefit allows you to keep the ashes nearby if you choose to move in the future.
- Memorial Options: Cremation allows for a variety of memorial options including a columbarium niche, scattering at a sentimental location, or a memorial urn.
Funeral and Cremation Services in Destrehan, LA
If you are in need of funeral and cremation planning in Destrehan, LA, then our team is here to assist. Contact us any time to schedule a consultation so you can learn more about these quality services.
Funeral & Cremation FAQs
Here’s what to do to get started:
Prepare a contact list of individuals who should be notified in a medical emergency or death.
Write an obituary or simply jot down information you would like included in an obituary.
Decide where obituary and memorial information should appear.
Cemetery lot location
Casket type; cremation urn type
Vault or sectional crypt
Type of service: religious, military, non-denominational, or fraternal
The contact details for the funeral home you designate to care for you
Pallbearers, music, flowers, scripture or other readings
Charity to receive donations in lieu of flowers, if donations are preferred
Select the speakers and the eulogies that you would want to represent you.
Decide what organizations or church will benefit from memorial donations in your name.
Can I pre-plan online?
Yes! You can make these important decisions in the privacy of your own home with our simple online pre-planning form. You can take your time, too; you'll be creating a log-in name and password, so you can save your work and come back to it anytime. Click here to see our online pre-planning form.
Things to do when visiting a funeral?
Offer an expression of sympathy
Follow the dress code
Bring a gift
Sign the register book
Keep in touch with the family